RIL AGM 2020: Key Highlights
Reliance Industries held its first Annual General Meeting virtually. Mukesh Ambani, chairman of the company made many announcements for the future roadmap for its Jio Platforms. Ambani also announced that the additional revenue will be used to uplift digital businesses and the company’s plans to make the experience more consumer-friendly, especially after COVID-19. Isha Ambani and Akash Ambani demonstrated compelling new technologies of Jio.
Here are the announcements made for Reliance Jio:
Reliance Jio launched the JioMeet, a video conferencing tool made in just 2 months in the country for the period when people are repudiating products that are not made in India.
The JioMeet app is available on Google Play Store, Apple App Store, Windows, macOS, and web version. With JioMeet, Reliance Jio is undoubtedly set sights on platforms such as Zoom, Google Meet, Skype, and Microsoft Teams. The Jio meet application had 5 million downloads since the launch.
Features of JioMeet:
- Support for HD audio and video
- Users can choose to lock meeting to stop more participants from joining.
- Play ding on entry or exit
- The host can mute all participants at once
- Chat among participants and sharing screens
- Hosts can enable a ‘waiting room’ to make sure participants ask for permission to enter.
- No time limit and the service is unconfined for up to 100 participants.
Google invests in Jio
Mukesh Ambani announced that Google is investing in Reliance Jio for around Rs 33,737 crore with a stake of 7.7%.
Both the company has joined hands for developing a new Android-based operating system to build affordable smartphones. The commercial agreement will make the immense Indian people ‘2G Mukt’.
The RIL chairman Mukesh Ambani said that within a few weeks of JioMart launch, it has over 2,50,000 orders a day. JioMart is now focused on scaling its geographical reach and delivery capabilities. JioMart, a tech platform will link producers, traders, small merchants, consumer brands, and consumers to cover more cities for electronics, fashion, pharmaceutical, and healthcare in the days ahead.
Mukesh Ambani said, "JioMart and WhatsApp will be working closely to create growth opportunities for millions of Indian small merchants and enable customers to seamlessly transact with Kirana shops."
Jio 5G Solution
Reliance Jio has developed a 100% home developed 5G platform under PM Modi Atmanirbhar Bharat from scratch. Once the platform has achieved scale, Jio will start a trial of the 5G network for telecom services by next year.
Jio Glass, a Mixed Reality entitled smart glass that enables users to connect with the world virtually in real-time. With the pandemic people are stuck in their homes, these glasses will help them to attend holographic video calls from their homes. With Jio Glass teachers can conduct holographic classes with students in 3D virtual rooms. The price and the availability details about the product are not yet revealed. Also, the specifications are not much detailed but a demo of the product was given with Isha Ambani on call.
Features of JioGlass:
- 25 in-built apps to allow augmented reality video calls
- High-resolution display
- All standard high-quality audio formats
- Only weighs 75 gm
- Comes with a cable to connect with the phone and then connects glass with the internet.
- Voice command enabled
- 2D and 3D video calls
- Sharing documents, presentations, 3D assets for conducting design discussions
- A camera in the middle
- Inbuilt speakers and battery inside the two legs
- Jio glass will use 5G services that Jio is currently working on.
Jio TV+ will be available to all Jio set-top box users through the Jio App Store.
Features of Jio TV+:
- A single sign-in leading OTT platforms such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+ Hotstar, Voot, SonyLiv, Zee5, JioCinema, JioSaavn, YouTube into one app to let customers discover shows and movies easily.
- Voice-search enabled
- Content search based on actors, directors, producers, genres, and mood
Ambani also stated that Jio is ready to be a partner of startups to help them reach their full potential. Reliance is making rapid progress in cloud partnership with Microsoft. DEN and Hathway Cable are being merged into Network18 and TV18.
With the above announcements, RIL comprises sectors such as electronics, e-commerce, media, video conferencing, telecom, retail, and music streaming platforms under Make in India initiative.